Here are some tips to help you prepare for a flood;
- Avoid building in areas prone to flooding. If you do build, make sure you elevate and reinforce your home or business. Check your local ordinances as to the base elevation, and how much higher you need to be to reduce your flood premium.
- Always elevate all mechanical items such as furnace, A/C, water heater, and electric panel if your building is prone to flooding, as this is often overlooked.
- Install one way “check valves” in your sewer traps (may be required by code). This will prevent floodwaters from backing up into the drains of your home.
- Contact your local community officials to find out if they are planning to construct any levees, beams, or floodwalls to stop floodwater from entering the homes in your area. This may also affect your flood rates, and your exposure to floods.
- If you have a basement or have a home that is off-grade, seal the walls with waterproofing compounds to avoid seepage.
- Check FEMA for other helpful information http://www.fema.gov